Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Jewel Orchid Plant

Beau has had this Jewel Orchid for so long, he doesn't remember where it came from.   That means it is BL (Before Lorrie) and places it greater than 23 years.  


       Unlike ours, the Jewel Orchid is a lovely plant that becomes exquisite when it blooms.  
Like this one  (picture from epotme.com).   Our plant does bloom, but definitely not like this.

Se've been keeping it housed in a basket, which invariable ends up wrapped with tin foil as it gets messy.   Every few years, we have to repot it as the basket deteriorates.   

The bathroom in our new house has wonderful light, so this year I thought I'd go all out and buy a nice orchid pot for the plant and give it a one-up on the other plants -- a priority spot by the tub.     I found (what I thought) a perfect little pot at Lowes and a bag of moss.   

And then, on a whim, I went out and read the directions on how a Jewel Orchid is supposed to be repotted. We, of course, have been doing it all wrong and this sweet little plant has been surviving just to spite us.   I took our plant apart, as directed, and found that the pot that I'd purchased was at least 80% to small.   Oh well.    Following the guidelines, I put a small portion of the plant into the new pot and parked it next to the (also ancient) ming in the bathroom.


And then I put a bunch more of the rhimesones into a hanging plant container my SIL brought as a housewarming present and parked it out in Beau's new rock garden.


And, there was still some left.   I called Beau in for a consultation.  It's was the ultimate decision, whether to pot some more, or whether to just toss it out.


 Now, when we moved to this house we gave away at least 25 plants due to perceived lack of space (and my lack of help taking care of them).    So, whether or not to create more plants is a big one.


Guess you figured out the outcome .... one more plant that I parked on the back deck.   If it develops nicely, we'll gift it to one of the SIL's.  

We'll give these guys a few months in their new home and see how they do.  I'll report back in early March .... that's when they should be in full bloom.  

Lorrie 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?