Saturday, September 8, 2012

Spinning Artist Toy

It's Yard Sale Saturday, you know.  I wasn't planning on going, but Beau offered to drive if I'd go to the grocery with him.   Great deal, since getting into the passenger side of the car is currently easier than the drivers side.    This was just my third Yard Sale adventure here in Baton Rouge.

We established a perimeter and headed out.  And, there was not much going on.  (I suppose with 96,000 people headed to Tiger Stadium this afternoon, who has time to put on a yard sale).   But, right before I gave up, there was a sign ...  "Beau -- Turn Here!"   

 Yard sales really are not Beau's thing.   But he'd brought his book and waited very patiently (I assume) in the car while I searched for potential treasures.


And, what did I find?  Well  ...
  • 8 tassels of varying lengths
  • 5 belts, which just might become future bag handles
  • a couple fat quarters of fabric
  • a assortment of acrylic and spray paints
  • a Li'l Mate Spinning Artists
The Spinning Artist TOY was quite a surprise.   As you might recall, one of my ongoing projects was working through the June/July 2012 issue of Quilting Arts.  So far, I'd only stabbed at a fiber bowl, and the next project calls for a paint spinner.    What are the odds of that.

As soon as Beau was out the door for the game, I headed to my studio to play.   This is a small spinner, the design width being only 3 3/4 inches.   There were no directions, but it didn't take much to figure out.

The actual article in the Quilting Arts Mag is work on fabric, but figured I'd best get to know the toy on paper.
Made a good dozens attempts and, although I'm getting the idea, there is nothing to write home about.   On paper, the paints are to thick.   When I watered them down, way to thin.  


Particularly on fabric - here the colors just bled together.   So, I decided that I'd do the novel and read the information in the magazine article, browse a little for some online tips and give it another try tomorrow.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks for dropping by,
Lorrie 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?