Saturday, September 29, 2012

Alex on Facebook

This is our son, Alex.  

  He can be quite charming and personable just as easy as he can be quiet and sullen.  As I'm sure it is with my parents, we get the quiet and sullen part, where the charming and personable is reserved for the rest of the world.    Sometimes someone will mention something he's done that is so respectful, or nice, or just the right thing to do, and although we raised him to be all of those things, it still takes us by surprise.   Our son?  He did (said) what?   Really.  Well how nice is that.

A couple weeks back I learned that Alex set himself on Facebook.   So I asked him if I sent him a request, could I be his friend.   And he said No.  NO!  He briefly explained that, as a mother, I might not like who he is or what he thinks and it's best to leave it alone.

I find myself thinking about this frequently.   At a recent party I mentioned it to a friend, who indicated that her children had 'friended' her.   But, she felt bad about it.   She thought that after she had access to their pages that they quit communicating through Facebook with their friends.   Perhaps, something along the lines, of no longer being able to openly communicate with friends because Mom was listening.   She is thinking of de-friending them so they can have their voice back.

So, I find myself thinking ....


Who are you son?  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?