Friday, August 24, 2012

Here Today Gone Tomorrow Thrift Store

Notice my special smile here.   This is my 'I found a new Thrift Store and have treasures to show for it' smile.  The same smile, can double for yard or garage sales, and even the occasional church bazaar.


The Thrift Store is Here Today and Gone Tomorrow, and is just a couple miles away.  And what treasures might those be ?

 Well, this time it was all about the sewing treasures.   There was a big box of sewing 'stuff', a few pieces of fabric, a couple patterns, tidbits (that I'm sure I will be talking about at a future date), and a pair of beads that will soon be downsized until a pair of earrings.

There was actually an entire bookshelf of fabric at the thrift at very good prices.   I selected just these 5 colorful, yet generic pieces.  I'm not sure why; I certainly don't need fabric.  Just had to have them I guess.

The main calling, was this box.   I hauled it, along with a cup of coffee, up to my room, cleared off a table to spread out on and started the sorting.    This is where treasures can be found and hints of the previous owner learned.   (Bet you never thought of a sewing box as a history lesson before).

Of course, there were sewing and embroidery threads.   Some of the spools were near empty; our seamstress was a frugal one.   At least half the spools are of the wood.     I took the time to empty those that were almost empty (not being much of a hand stitcher), and will put the empty wood spools with the other couple hundred in my collection.   Note to self ... decide what to do with all those wood spools!

 A small collection of belt buckles and two pair of cut-off sock ribs.   When I saw the first set - the red ones - I thought 'Oh cool, wrist warmers'.   But no, these are socks cut off right above the heel, where the ribbing starts.   I can see how they could easily be transformed to wrist warmers, but being here in the South where it doesn't stay cold long enough to bother, I don't think so.   The belt buckles will go to the buckle collection, the socks to the trash.
And then, there is a collection of lace packaged -- the Ben Franklin variety.  I don't know for what, but these are definite keepers.


With this one, the excitement mounted.   It's a little treasure parcel, about 3 x 3 inches, just like those shown in artsy magazines.  You know, when you gift something small, put it in interesting wrappings.    So, I carefully unwrapped the bundle.  And what did I find?   Nothing ... just old pieces of newspaper.  Looked like our original owner may have made some newspaper pattern pieces for shoulder pads and then put them to double duty by folding them up to hold leftover threads.   Frugal (and inventive) as well.    There is no date on the papers, but a couple of the pictures would imply early 1970s.

 Of course, there are a couple patches.   The Raggedy Anne's appear to be home appliques cut from fabric, and the others, except for the stars have been removed from other items.

 And a variety of buttons, hooks and clasps.

 And some miscellaneous stuff.   The black pieces are some type of clips.  I assume to hold fabrics in progress together.  They open about 1/2 inch wide and have inch markers (1 to 4) across the front.  

And yep, Zippers.   Not the pretty extra ones that never got out of the wrapper, but zippers removed from other garments.   Some you can see were carefully removed, others, tugged at a bit; two that are broken and two that are literally cut out of jeans (with the fly still intact).    This is my MOST FAVORITE find in the box.  and they will start showing up in something soon (I hope ... not just becoming another collection).

So, all in all, a great Thrift Store find.   Not only are there usable items here, there was a good hours worth of entertainment going through it.   Not bad of $3.95.    Now, of course, comes the hard part.   Putting all the little bits and pieces where they belong.  

Lorrie 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?