Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Field Trip to Brian's Furniture

Now that we are settled into the new house, the plan is to renew our weekly field trips to learn our community and get out of the house - Beau plans one week; I plan the next.   This week Beau decided on Port Allen to see the locks, as well as Brians Furniture to get information on a specific garden hose.  

As it turned out, we found the locks, but didn't figure out how to get into the immediate area.  The gate was solidly locked.  And, as the moment would have it, there was no traffic in the vicinity either.  But, Brian' Hardware was a totally different story.
 Brian's is actually two sets of stores across the street from each other.   One side of the street is  Home Furniture, appliances and home accessories and the other side, where we started, is garden furniture, pots and upscale yard art.  
There was so much to encompass that I pulled up a seat on a wicker couch to take in the surroundings.  My eyes fell on a set of sculptures across the room.  Obviously garden sculptures, I'd say they stand around 18 inches tall.   It was love at first site.  They would look incredible, one each, on the sills in my dining room.  I also admired the stained glass windows, sculptures and interesting furniture pieces, but kept coming back to these, with the idea forming .... please don't be more than $100 each.   Finally, I went for an up close, personal look.   Yes, incredible, and $369 each.   They are solid brass and from the talents of Roelna Louw.   Definitely not in todays' budget, but certainly an addition to my Christmas list.

Every nook and cranny of the store are filled with intriguing visuals. 

I was particularly fond of the tall metal sculpture giraffe in the front.   Back in my concrete sculpture years I'd actually considered creating one.   (Now that we've moved, I'm glad I didn't).  Perhaps someday in paper mache.

Beau, of course, loved the LSU Mike the Tiger sculpture.   

And, I can't resist sharing with you this HUGE Cockroach sculpture.   He is a work in progress; an artisan was in the middle of a brush painting.   I asked if I could take his picture and he said yes, and then went indoors.   I guess we thought I meant the cockroach ... not him creating this very realistic (perhaps 5 foot) sculpture.  

And, of course an array of LSU and Cajun country signs.  With football starting in 17 days (Beau can also count down the hours), these are a very hot item.

Across the street is the home furnishing and appliance store.  Very tasteful and artistic all the way through.  I really should have taken more pictures to share.  But, here's one of the signs posted in the window.  


They have a wonderful selection of Sid Dickens Tiles.     The first time I saw his tiles I was inspired to make a line of mosaic's on slates.  I'll have to dig those pictures out sometime.   Every home should have one of these, but I have to admit the impact is in the groupings.

 On the way out, stopped for a quick pose with the bench monkey.  

While here, we found a bedroom set for the guest bedroom.   I didn't manage to take a picture, however, will tomorrow when they deliver it.  

In case I didn't mention it, I REALLY LIKE THIS STORE and recommend a visit should you ever find yourself in historic downtown Port Allen. 

On the way home we stopped at Bergerons Boudin and Meats, also in Port Allen for lunch.  This wonderful lunch is the Wednesday Daily Special.   I'll admit that any of the three - chicken, beans and potato salad - are better than any I've ever cooked (and I'm a pretty good cook, if I don't say so myself).

It's now my turn to plan next week.   I'll have to put on my planning hat.

Lorrie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?